Hello to all students in the Boston University AD648 class. Please jump in here and leave some great words of wisdom and inspiration :)
I've gotten some GREAT feedback from my fellow students over the past few days, and I'm going to make changes now that incorporates a few of them. First, to add more information to my Welcome post that relates more information about me.
I'm originally from Phoenix, Arizona and moved to the Denver area in September of 1982. Except for a couple years spent in Washington State helping a friend start a computer software company, I've lived here ever since. I love my mountains, hiking, ice-climbing, skiing, as well as martial arts, rollerblading, fine woodworking, fishing, racquetball, and weight-lifting.
I'm married to my wife of 25 years, and we have three children; Danial, Erika, and Michael. My oldest son was married almost three years ago in Jamaica to a wonderful girl named Kristy. They recently bought their first home not far from us. Both attend college and work full time. Erika attends college in Georgia and is working on a nursing degree, and she and her fiancee, James, will return to Colorado in March. Michael recently completed high school and will be taking college classes starting in March. Both my sons achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, and being involved in Scouting and helping them with their progress was just a world of fun.
I went back to school in 2002, and earned a Bachelor of Science in Business that was completed in 2006. About a year later I returned to school and earned an MBA with an emphasis in Information Technology, graduating in 2009. It was shortly after that I heard about the Masters in Business Continuity, Security, and Risk at Boston University that I decided I had to sign up. I've been in Data Processing and Information Technology since 1974, and have been fortunate to be involved with many things in that field during that time, but nothing that I have enjoyed as much as Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity. My first such opportunity was in 1983 when I took a job with Oppenheimer Asset Management in Aurora, Colorado as the Manager of Quality Assurance, and one of my main responsibilities was to develop, test, and maintain the Disaster Recovery plan - it was exhilarating! So when I found out about the program, I just had to go for it.
I hope you'll leave a post for me. This is my first blog, and I'll be making modifications over time. I wish you well in all that you do.
Hi David. I see you took Allison's advice in making the comment feature available on your blog! It makes our communications so much easier. Just like other views were saying it would be great to add some details in here about you, your family, your hobbies etc. I like that you added a profile photo. I kept trying to update mine and seem to be having technical issues with sizing. Look forward to checking back later in the week!
ReplyDeleteKate
How exciting!! My first visitor and comment! Thank you for stopping by.
DeleteHello David,
ReplyDeleteI am Tinu and we are in the same group for Ecommerce Class. I like the background you selected, it is very welcoming and warm. Your profile is well thought out; so I would suggest that you bring some elements from your profile and include more detail in the body of your page, that way we get to know you better.
Ciao!
Tinu
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteI see that you are struggling with the blog as me. But you have made the right and wise choice to start and work with an easy template. I changed the blogger web interface into the old one. There are all tools in one spot. It is easier to find them and figure out how to use in that way. ( it was for me).
It is so quite here for the person who likes rock and Sci-Fi movies.LOL. The blogger web site offers a lot of gadgets , so if you through them all you will be able to find something scientific.
Alfia.
David,
ReplyDeleteI have a few suggestions for your blog.
1 - Write a post that tells us a little more about you? Where do you live? What do you do for a living? Why are you studing at BU? What are your hobbies? Talk about your family? the possibilities are endless..
2 - I would suggest a more crisp background image as the blurryness is a bit distracting.
3 - I would also suggest adding gadgets, such a weather, or search features
Best of luck. I look forward to seeing the changes you decide to make!
Good morning David,
ReplyDeleteIt is nice meeting you! I see that you reside in Colorado! I heard that Colorado is a great state for skiing and the mountains are beautiful. It is snowing a lot in New York today.
I would suggest to add some more gadgets on your blog. I like the background of your blog you chose and it makes very clean.
Looking forward working with you! :)
Good stuff David, and you're quite right, you blog is simple - I am a big fan of simple. However, I think your simple does need a bit of variety to draw in your kind of audience. I think a little more about yourself as a person, and and working with your current layout, experimenting with font styles and color will keep the simplicity yet open up your world a little more.
ReplyDeleteUchenna.
Hello David,
ReplyDeleteI like that you have a detailed profile. it's also my first blog and i have been making changes to it everyday. It almost feels addictive because I want to make it perfect and I learn new things everyday about it but it feels good when it comes out the way you want it. As a suggestion have fun with it and use blog requirements as a checklist. Good Luck and Have Fun
Hello David,
ReplyDeleteNice start to your blog!
I grew up in Washington State, in a small town north of Seattle. And now I live in Denver too!
For improving your blog I would suggest adding another page or two, and making another post or two on each page. Then I would add some gadgets. For some ideas for gadgets, I would suggest taking a look at Alfia's blog, she included some pretty cool stuff!
As for the overall design of your blog, I like it how it is. It has a nice blue theme, and it's very easy to navigate and read. Good job!
Eli
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteGreat changes since I first visited. Nice addition of gadgets (weather, news etc.) Also, love the photo of the mountains. I studied for about three months in Colorado and if I were to choose somewhere else to live it would be there but right now we have our first taste of real snow in MA. Also, great addition of information on your family and educational background. You may want to add the e-mail post feature and quick edit links as these are requirements in the syllabus. The help center is great with blogger for research on that also I read the text about how to build a blog with blogger.
Look forward to working with you!
Good morning David,
ReplyDeleteI see a lot of improvement in your blog. I like the idea of adding the technological articles. I agree with Eli that you should add more pages to your blog. For example : you can add a page about your hobbies with pictures or a slide show of your pictures ( there is such a gadget on the blogger web),a play list with your favourite rock tracks, some ideas about clay pottery, etc.
Alfia.
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteGreat to meet you! By the sound of your first post you have done quite a bit in your life! Its nice to also see someone going back to school for a second Masters. In this economy its always a good idea to be versatile. It does look like you included a lot of the suggestions already provided by our classmates. Where you able to publish your blog with a directory? That is about the only thing I could see ablout adding. Let me know if you have any questions!
-Allison
Hi David.
ReplyDeleteNice to meet you. You must be happy your children live close or will be moving back soon. I look forward to working with you as the course progresses. I expect you will offer interesting insites from your experiences with disaster recovery and how it is connected to ecommerce and security.
Have you considered adding a photo in your blog post? Maybe one of your family? When editing posts blogger has a nifty feature to just upload a photo into the textbox area. Just a thought.
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteAre you holding your breath yet for the game? I am currently sitting on a airplane and there is a gentleman from Boston complaining that he can not watch it! So hopefully they are winning!
Very nice blog. I love the background and introduction. Just a suggestion would be to maybe add pictures into your blog post. That might break up the text and all for more personalization.
Congrats on the 25 years of marriage. That is something super special to hold on to. I'm counting down to the days of marriage...only 88 more! And so much to do!
Go Patriots! (Now that my Packers lost!)
Rachel
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI'll retry that post again:
DeleteAnd the Pats win!! Once they beat my Broncos, I was pulling for them. We'll find out in a few hours who they will play. It will be a very good game too. And Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!!
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about you and your family and I sense that you are very passionate about what you do. That feeling of gratification with ones work is sometimes a rare commodity,so my hat off to you.
Since my last visit, I see you have added a few gadgets to your blog. Very nice. I really like the 3D weather gadget. Where did you find that?
Well, I look forward to learning more about you and working together during this course.
Tinu
Hi Tinu - for the 3D Weather gadget, just edit your blog page, select to add a gadget, and on the left side click on "More Gadgets" and type Weather in the search field and click go or search. It should take you to it and you just select it as usual. Thanks so much for your suggestions and comments :)
ReplyDelete